Come join us Sunday, August 10 from 1 to 5 p.m. for Old Fashioned Day! Enjoy heritage crafts demonstrations, displays of antique tools & machinery, homemade scones & jam, horse & wagon rides, old time music, and much more!
Participez au concours de tête de chevreuil est une bonne façon d'aider le musée pour tout renseignement consultez chevreuil.net
In February 2014, the Museum sponsored the first in a series of original plays bringing local history to life. William Stone's Leg told the story of an historic surgery - the first in Canada using anesthetic - performed by Dr. E. Worthington in 1847. Three nights of sold-out crowds enjoyed the performance. DVDs of this play, and the subsequent play Beyond Belief, about Bill McCallum the Glass Man, are still available. For details contact the museum.
A regional showcase since 1959
The Eaton Corner Museum was the brainchild of the Compton County Women’s Institute, an English-language organization similar to Le Cercle des Fermières. These women, mostly homemakers, wanted to leave a tangible legacy for posterity. They wanted future generations to understand how their ancestors lived.
To make this happen, the Women’s Institute formed the Compton County Historical Museum Society in 1958. On March 20, 1959, The Society received its Letters Patent. The founding directors were lumber merchant Payson A. Sherman, accountant Robert A. Smith and insurance agent Paul Beaudoin, all residents of Scotstown. In the same year, the Society purchased the former Congregationalist Church from the United Church of Canada for one dollar. With the goal of turning it into a regional museum, they collected historic objects from throughout Compton County.
Soon afterward, in 1961, the provincial government declared the church to be an historic building. The former Eaton Academy across the street received the same protection in 1963. Over the years the Museum’s collection took shape and was displayed in various ways. Several fund-raising events are held every year, both to maintain our historic buildings and to finance the conservation and display of our artefacts and archives.
In 2003 a major restoration of the Museum was funded by the Québec Department of Culture and Communications and managed by the Town of Cookshire-Eaton. It was completed in 2004. In 2010 the Town declared the Eaton Corner Museum’s four buildings to be a heritage site, further protecting the Museum complex.